Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Perception of the Imago Dei

Today as we talked about being created in the image of the Imago Dei this video that was going around Facebook came to mind. http://clashdaily.com/2014/01/labelled-worlds-ugliest-woman-lizzie-velasquez-knows-god-sees-true-beauty/ Lizzie Velasquez who was labeled the ugliest woman in the world looks to her disease and her situation not as a disability. She talks about how she comes to understand that God sees her true beauty. I wonder some, what her response would be to being created in the Imago Dei. When we talked in class about being created in the image of God and if we could visualize God having a disability Lizzie makes me ponder this even more. I wonder how Lizzie helps or hinders each of our understandings of being created in the Imago Dei and our views of what is or is not a disability when it comes to God.

ImagoDei

2 comments:

  1. I've seen this video link floating around also but haven't taken the time to watch. Thank you for making the connection to our classtime/work. It evokes such emotion in me as it has elements of bullying in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole: how interesting that we both commented about Lizzie Velasquez on our blog posts last night... perhaps it was the work of the Spirit (I think I saw a story in goggle news about her and my searching led me to her TED Talk to youth.)

    ReplyDelete