Sunday, January 12, 2014

Taking a Step Back!

As class ended yesterday I have spent the last day or so reflecting even more on the class. I just couldn't quite put words to where I was at last evening as I started to really tie some of the pieces together. Many of the elements started to link up as I started to think deeper about my project.

I went to Frozen last night to watch it through the lens of different theological loci. I was watching with the intent of starting to lay out my project. However, this discipline of watching or viewing a form of media through theological loci has tremendous power. We have this ability as Christians to always use a variety of theological lenses. I think to often we forget to do this and when that happens the media we are using lacks the full capacity it holds. Now, we may not always want to walk into a movie and watch it through a specific theological loci, but what might happen if you did every once in a while?

We may not always use a theological lens and that is ok. In the same way we may not have to always use social media or digital media. Tonight I witnessed how there is something special that can happen when we take that step back and let community develop naturally. At Youth group this evening I did not ask the youth to put their phones away I just helped initiate the beginning conversation. As the night went on the social/digital community they are often so attached to through their phone was placed on hold as they embraced the community around them and in their presence. There is something about us as humans that crave that relationship and true presence. The community that was present through their phone they would go back to but they also took the step back to embrace the real presence of community surrounding them. The further they engaged and embraced those around them the reminder to using caring language disappeared because they started to see Christ in each other. The transition was amazing to sit as an observer while still being a part of this community as it was forming. The media of a board game and the Bible was all that was needed for this group of youth to build on our human desire for relationship in profound ways. Which community is more important, the digital or real presence?

More on the project and Youth night to come. The one last thing as I reflect back on the class. I was nervous about starting this blog and have come to appreciate blogging. It goes back to a connection piece and to engage in conversation in a new way. I am thankful for this class as it has opened my eyes in new ways and I look forward to continuing to blog periodically.


2 comments:

  1. What did your lense reveal about the movie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. JJ when I finish my project it will be posted so stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete